Sr Manager, Underwriting - Lawn & Garden/Specialty Finance & New Initiatives
Company: Huntington Bancshares, Inc.
Posted on: May 26, 2023
DescriptionPosition Summary:Overall responsibility for
underwriting activities and personnel leadership for assigned
portfolios in select vertical industry segments. The incumbent will
be a thoughtful leader with deep domain expertise in credit risk
management and excellent communication/ organizational skills.Align
with Portfolio General Managers and Sales Leadership to establish
underwriting expectations from exclusive and non-exclusive program
partners. Develop and motivate a team of Underwriting Managers and
Analysts to drive deal flow decisioning in a timely manner to
deliver a positive customer experience in a dynamic environment
while adhering to Huntington's credit risk appetite, policies, and
procedures.Engage with Credit Leaders in Line 2, Credit Review,
Compliance, Audit, and other departments to continuously drive
effectiveness, efficiency, and compliance of underwriting
activities. Make recommendations for policy or procedure
modifications as needed.Responsibilities:
- Lead and develop the underwriting team by effectively building
bench strength, maintaining appropriate staffing, and training.
Responsible for setting goals and monitoring productivity to align
with customer expectations. Evaluate organizational structure,
quality of talent, and budget on a periodic basis.
- Develop and monitor relevant production/quality metrics to
optimize decision turnaround times, customer experience, and
quality of underwriting. Develop a culture of collaboration and
- Ensure that the Underwriting Managers and Analysts have
awareness and understanding of policies, guidelines, procedures,
and regulatory requirements.
- Review and approve transactions within credit authority and
make recommendations on those outside of credit authority.
Implement a process to periodically review quality of underwriting
at lower levels of credit authority.
- Drive efficiency for underwriting personnel through optimum
utilization of tools available (e.g. credit scoring,
InventoryEngine workflow) and engagement with portfolio and
onboarding leaders to enhance cross-functional workstreams that
will enable a better customer experience and colleague
- Interact with customers and prospects as a part of the credit
due diligence process. Collaborate with General Managers to develop
proposals that are creative and align with HDF's risk appetite and
growth strategies. Coordinate with Line 2 Credit personnel to
effectively position new programs, new deals, and credit line
- Maintain credit quality through prudent underwriting and
partnering with Portfolio Control to minimize delinquency,
non-accruals, losses and levels of criticized Assets. Liaise with
General Managers, Sales Leadership, and Portfolio Managers to
develop a shared understanding of portfolio credit quality and
controlled growth. Assist Portfolio Control team as needed in
analyzing and structuring to minimize loss on high risk/SLR and
- Monitor level of Loan Criteria Exceptions, industry
concentrations, delinquencies, LQAS exception levels, and other
portfolio monitoring and performance measures to within appropriate
standards. Consult with Lin2 Credit Leadership regarding findings
- Collaborate and make recommendations to Line 1 Executive
Management and Line 2 Credit Leadership on appropriate industry
specific underwriting criteria and delegation of authority to stay
current in a dynamic competitive environment.
- Support internal and external examinations/audits and
collaborate with Line 2 Credit Leadership to respond timely to
audit/exam inquiries and findings. Lead implementation of any
policy or process enhancements to comply with audit/exam findings
and recommendations within committed time frames.
- Effectively manages the department functions while meeting and
adhering to corporate, legal, compliance and regulatory policies.
Work with the Compliance and Legal departments for updates,
procedure changes or development, and resolution of issues.
Regularly review Policy, Guidelines, and Procedures for updates
- Interact with Underwriting & Credit Leaders from other
Huntington businesses and departments as needed to share and adopt
- Lead implementation of special projects as
neededEducation:Required: Bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting
field or equivalent work experience.Preferred: MBA or Master'sWork
- 10+ years of demonstrated leadership experience:
coaching/building Underwriting teams and special projects.
- 15+ years' credit underwriting experience with at least 5 years
of specialty finance credit experience
- Detail oriented with the ability to analyze in detail complex
financial statements including cash flow, leverage, collateral, and
- Excellent quantitative analysis skills
- Excellent written/verbal communication, presentation, and
- Ability to make sound business judgments while protecting HDF
- Experience in portfolio analysis, reporting and credit
- Good technical skills, including experience with Word, Excel,
PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Solid experience with secured lending including Security
Documentation; UCC's, Security and Priority Agreements, etc.
- Experienced use of asset-based credit structuring techniques to
mitigate riskExempt Status: (Yes= not eligible for overtime pay)
(No= eligible for overtime pay)YesWorkplace Type:HybridHuntington
is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and is
committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all
regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age,
disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity and
expression, genetic information, or any other basis protected by
local, state, or federal law.Tobacco-Free Hiring Practice: Visit
Huntington's Career Web Site for more details.Agency Statement:
Huntington does not accept solicitation from Third Party Recruiters
for any position
Keywords: Huntington Bancshares, Inc., Minnetonka , Sr Manager, Underwriting - Lawn & Garden/Specialty Finance & New Initiatives, Executive , Minnetonka, Minnesota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...